Gary Danko is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in San Francisco. I’ve been wanting to try it out for some time, but the occasion didn’t come about until my company got bought out and all my stock got paid out a small premium. I decided to treat Pdho and myself to a special dinner. Needless to say, the 1300+ Yelpers who gave Gary Danko 4 1/2 stars were not wrong. It was probably one of the best higher end dinners I’ve ever had… hands down. I’ll just get straight to the food. We both decided on the 4 course menu, because there were just too many delicious selections from which to choose. Without a doubt, every course was absolutely fantastic!
Our 4 course menu:
- Seared Sonoma Foie Gras with Caramelized Red Onions and Rhubarb – The most sinfully decadent piece of goose liver I have ever had. It was just the right size and the onions and rhubarb helped to cut the richness of the liver.
- Dungeness Crab Salad with Citrus, Avocado and Meyer Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette – A very tasty salad with well-balanced flavors between the citrus and avocado. And I just love crab salad!
- Roast Maine Lobster with Potato PurÈe, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Edamame Beans and Tarragon – How can you go wrong with lobster!
- Mushroom Dusted Sea Scallops with English Pea PurÈe, Shimeji Mushrooms and Meyer Lemon – This was the better of the seafood courses. Well-cooked scallops with unique mushroom flavor.
- Lemon Pepper Duck Breast with Duck Hash, Parsnip PurÈe and Roasted Grapes – I was surprised by the portion of this dish. It was quite a healthy serving of duck breast and how can you go wrong with duck breast.
- Roasted Loin of Bison with King Trumpet Mushrooms, Glazed Cipollini Onions and Herb Spatzle – Considering that bison is supposed to be very lean compared to beef, this was well-prepared. I was expecting it to be dry and chewy, but it actually had a lot of flavor and went very well with the mushrooms and spatzle.
- Trio of CrÈme BrulÈe – The trio included vanilla, coffee caramel and chocolate. Even though I am not a sweets person at all, the vanilla creme brulee was AMAZING!!! By far the best one I’ve ever had!
- FlambÈed Bananas with Vanilla Cake, Butter Pecan Ice Cream, Vanilla CrÈme Fraiche and Candied Pecans – Again, not being a sweets person and having pretty low expectations based on previous tastings, this dish aimed to impress and succeeded. Prepared tableside, it offered up all the flare and fire you would expect from flambee. We found out that the addition of lemon helped to cut the sweetness and was probably key to why it tasted so good!
I was only brave enough to pull out my camera for dessert. I felt a little too embarassed amongst Gary Danko’s many refined chi chi looking guests and army of overly attentive waiters and servers to be snapping pictures of every course. Nevertheless, this is my initial attempt at adding some color and character to my blog as Pdho so strongly recommends… again… and again…. (Talk about a back seat blogger!)
800 North Point Street
San Francisco, California 94109
PAFO Ratings for Gary Danko:
Price 4 ½ stars
Ambiance 3 ½ stars
Food 5 stars
Overall rating 4 ½ stars